Elementary Physical Education provides the foundation in developing lifelong physical, mental and emotional skills as well as the basic knowledge of the wellness needed to embrace a healthy lifestyle.
"Health and success in school are interrelated. Schools cannot achieve their primary mission of education if students and staff are not healthy and fit physically, mentally, and socially." - National Association of State Boards of Education
Research supports that healthy, active children have the potential to be better learners. A healthy body fuels a healthy mind.
District 303 students will...
- Appreciate the importance of being active
- Demonstrate the physical skills and movement concepts necessary to be active
- Understand the importance of proper nutrition, overall wellness of the body (body systems, muscles, bones)
- Develop problem solving and decision making skills, good sportsmanship and team building skills
- Develop goal-setting skills while understanding the importance of self-assessment
- Identify the fitness components (Cardiovascular Endurance, Muscular Endurance, Muscular Strength, Body Composition, Flexibility)
- Identify the wellness factors (Exercise, Nutrition, Sleep, Healthy Choices)
The Elementary Physical Education Curriculum has been designed to help elementary physical education professionals develop and implement a program that best meets the needs of their student population.
Health & Wellness
The goal of District 303 Health/Wellness Curriculum is to provide elementary school students a comprehensive Health/Wellness instruction to be integrated into the Physical Education Curriculum weekly.
The Elementary Health/Wellness Program of District 303 will…
- Instruct students on the principles and components necessary for health/related fitness.
- Use self-assessment to influence personal health.
- Provide an individual the opportunity to be responsible for their own actions while working independently or in a group.
- Promote a healthy lifestyle for self and others.
- Become familiar with the functions of the body systems and how they are directly related to one’s individual choices.
- Learn that growth and development naturally occur at individual rates.
- Use effective communication and decision-making skills in making choices that will impact themselves and others.
Students need a clean pair of gym shoes in order to safely participate in class. Please make sure your child has a clean pair of gym shoes that STAY in their cubby for P.E. class only. The following shoes are not allowed due to safety reasons:
- Sandals/Flip Flops